Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Finding Your Direction And Purpose In Life

Most people become very clear about what they want to achieve in life and what they want to do, when they find a purpose for living on this planet.

They feel fulfilled as they discover their ‘Reason for Being’. They find that their purpose in life is not the same as a goal in life. It’s not searching for a goal or pointing yourself at one thing and saying that’s the one thing I want to achieve.

A purpose in life is like a direction.

It’s like saying “East”. Now if you are headed East then there are going to be several cities along the way as you head in that direction and these cities can represent the goals you set in your life. Now when someone asks you what the purpose of your life is, the answer would not be “I want A” or “I want B” or “I need this or that”. You answer by saying “I am…”. Then look for a trait or attribute that best describes you, “I am generous”, “I am a teacher”, “I am an organiser” and find some characteristic that describes you.

In fact, right now, take 5 minutes to write down 5 traits that best describe you.

Sometimes these are blind spots in your life so what we need to do is ask close friends or family members, what exactly they think of when they think of us. Write down these traits and eliminate them one by one, be honest with yourself, until you find the one trait that best describes you as a person and that will be your purpose in life.

To give you an example, the purpose to my life is that I am an Educator. I am a great educator. I love teaching people in various ways, methodologies and forms. I love teaching children with stories. I love teaching by writing this article and the others that are fast on its heels and I love teaching by creating innovative TV and Radio programs. These books, Radio and TV programs, video tapes and audio tapes are goals along my direction in life.

I wish you good luck in finding your direction and Purpose in life too.

Remember, when you find it, you will find clarity in everything you do and your decision making skills will become that much more effective and your decisions will come to you easier and faster as well.

No comments: